Josie Earp (maybe?) from the book "I Married Wyatt Earp"
from an original image in the collection of
BOOKS WORTH READING
Columbia Booksellers & Stationers
Reading up on the people you want to portray is the only way!
For Indian Warfare on the High Plains, 1865-1879
READ Scalp Dance by Thomas Goodrich. Great work of actual accounts!
- Bad Company by Joseph Henry Jackson (searches out the truth)
- Trail Dust and Saddle Leather by Jo Mora (leans heavy on the
20th century Hollywood influences)
- Californios by Jo Mora
Tombstone, Arizona (The most accurate books):
- "The OK Coral Inquest" - Edited by Al Turner
- "The Earps Talk" Al Turner
- "Helldorado" - Breckenridge
- "I Married Wyatt Earp" - Boyer (Recent historians debate
the truth of Boyer's work and call it collectable, but not history!)
- "The Search for the Holidays" - Pendleton
- "The Tombstone Epitaph" - Douglas D. Martin
- The Tombstone Epitaph
Continuously being published since May 1, 1880!
Tabloid format, published monthly (the actual newspaper is still being published as a weekly by the students at U of AZ Journalism School in Tucson), contributors are mostly members of Western Writers of America - gratis, Subscription $15/year.
- "The George Parson Diary" - Parson
- "And Die in the West" - Mitchell
- "The Fred Dodge Story" - Dodge
- "The Buntline Special Myth" - Shillingberg
- "The Truth About Wyatt Earp" - Richard Irwin
Other Good Books:
- "Frontier Marshal" - Lake (Well written, but half fiction)
- "Tombstone" - Burns (This may have happened once!)
- "Gunsmoke" - Grace McCool (Cowboy Apologist. gross inaccuracies)
- Hunting Trips of a Ranchman by Teddy Roosevelt
- Ranch Life and Hunting Trail by Theodore Roosevelt
- The Trial of Frank James
- Good Man With a Gun - Haley
- John Selman - Metz
- Billy the Kid - Utley
- Arizona's Dark & Bloody Ground - Forrest
- The Hash Knife Brand - Tinsley
- Knights of the Green Cloth - Robert K. DeArment
- Badge & Buckshot
- Jesse James Was His Name - Dr. William A Settle
- The Outlaw Youngers: A Confederate Brotherhood - Marley Brant
- The Pistoleer - James Carlos Blake
- The Last Gunfighter - Dr. Richard C. Marohn
- "The Old West" series - Time/Life
- "Packing Iron - Gunleather of the Frontier West"
- Richard C. Rattenbury
- "Peacemakers - Arms and Adventure in the Old West"
- R.L. Wilson
- "Authentic Costumes and Characters of the Wild West"
- E. Lisle Reedstrom, published by Sterling Publishing,
ISBN#0-8069-8644-1 (A must for reenactors!)
- "I See By Your Outfit " - Tom Lindmier and Steve Mount
Places to look for books
- Columbia Booksellers & Stationers
Floyd Øydegaard, proprietor
- Guidon Books
7117 West Main Street
Scottsdale, AZ 85251
(602) 946-0521 Fax
- Pioneer Press
PO Box 684
Union City, Tenn 38281
Newspapers & Magazines
- The Tombstone Epitaph
PO Box 1880
Tombstone AZ 85638-1880
- True West Publishing
PO Box 8008
Cave Creek AZ 85327-9969
- Trails End
P.O. Box 598
Gary Campbell, editor
Write to: Black Bart the Legend at
Page created by
© 1984-2010 Shadows of the Past, Inc.
Want to see my Old West Reenactors Web Site? Touch
Shadows of the Past, Inc.
Click to see our Columbia Bookstore WebSite
Pages created by